London landlords fined over lack of emergency lighting

TWO NORTH London landlords have been fined over £30,000 for an absence of emergency lighting and other fire equipment at property they rented in Golders Green.

Under the law, a so-called 'Home of Multiple Occupation' requires emergency lighting and other fire safety equipment to be fitted. 

The duo were convicted of multiple breaches of licensing regulations on a house in Sandringham Road.

Barnet Council brought a prosecution against Mark Goldsmith, of Golders Green Road, and Lian Hatuka, of Sandringham Road, citing a breach of the conditions of their House of Multiple Occupation (HMO) licence.

The house is said to have no emergency lighting and no fire alarm, and yet had six sitting tenants.

Despite both men pleading not guilty to charges of failing to comply with their licence at Willesden Magistrates’ Court on Valentine’s Day, the magistrates convicted them and ordered the pair to pay £15,420 each.

Barnet’s housing committee chair, the Conservative Councillor Gabriel Rozenberg told the local newspaper, the Ham & High: ‘All too often landlords think that their legal obligations are met when they submit their HMO licence application.

I’m delighted that the courts support our approach to driving up housing standards for tenants in the borough.’

The action follows a spate of fines on landlords as courts get tough on fire safety. The fines appear to be a ‘get tough’ policy following the Grenfell Tower tragedy in London on 14 June 2017 in which 72 residents lost their lives.

Last week, a Luton property company was slapped with fine of almost £67,000 for a lack of emergency lighting and other fire safety measures at three properties in the town.

Zenith Accommodation Limited, which rents out houses of multiple occupation (HMOs), faced charges over a semi-detached house in Dorel Close and two period terrace homes in Cromwell Road.

In May,  a Hertfordshire landlord was fined £50,000 for the lack of emergency lighting and other failings at two rented properties.

The company which rents the homes, Lettings of London Limited, pleaded guilty to 18 offences relating to two houses of multiple occupation in Goldings Crescent, Hatfield.

In July last year, Bijan Keshmiri of Wragby Road, Lincoln received a record fine of £400,000 over the lack of emergency lighting, faulty standard lighting with a risk of electrocution and other breaches of fire and health and safety legislation in respect of four self-contained flats on Rosemary Lane and a property converted into two self-contained flats on Spa Buildings, both in Lincoln.

Also in July 2018, landlord Yordan Kaloyanov of Millhouse Rise, Immingham, North East Lincolnshire was fined £1,380 over an absence of emergency lighting at his property and other offences.

In January of that year landlord Manmohan Sahib was jailed for four months in prison over a lack of emergency lighting and other measures at his property at 361 Ilford High Street, Essex.

He was also ordered to pay full prosecution costs of £23,076.  A confiscation order of £8,400, relating to income received while the premises were prohibited, was also imposed.

In the same month, private landlord Devinder Punian was fined almost £19,000 over breaches to fire safety – including defective emergency lighting – at a property in Clarendon Avenue, Leamington Spa.

In June 2017, former hotelier Amandeep Sandhu was sent to prison for eight months after admitting that his establishment, Cutlers Hotel in Sheffield, lacked adequate emergency lighting and other fire safety equipment.

In September of that year, Birmingham barrister Lewis Perry was fined almost £5,000 over the lack of emergency lighting and other fire safety equipment at a rental property in Hunton Road, Erdington, Birmingham

 

  • Learn more about emergency lighting standards and requirements at the LuxLive 2019 exhibition, taking place taking place at London ExCeL on Wednesday 13 November and Thursday 14 November 2019. Entry is free - see the full programme and register for free HERE.

Comments 1

URGENT AND POWERFUL SPELL CASTER DR GBOJIE WHATSAPP HIM ON +2349066410185 am from canada, would want to tell you all that i was able to put an end to my divorce issue and restore my marriage again, because i never wanted it to happen. i don’t know what came over my husband that he was filling for divorce, i etried to talk him out of it when he told me and he didn’t listen to me, i had no other option than to seek for the help of a spell caster and now am glad i did. Because if not for the help of spell, i don’t know what would have become of me by now because i loved my husband so much that i couldn’t stand loosing him. The spell worked like magic with the way and manner my husband change and started showing love instead of the divorce he was planning. i just too happy that everything is in place for me now. I would gladly recommend the use of spell to any one going through marriage problems and want to put an end to it. [gbojiespiritualtemple@gmail.com , gbojiespiritualtemple@yahoo.com or whatsapp : +2349066410185 was were i got the help to restore my marriage]

Leave your comment