Danger in the suburbs: £16k fine over emergency lights

A ROGUE landlord has been fined £16,000 for breaching fire regulations - including an absence of emergency lighting – in a leafy middle-class suburb of a sleepy seaside town.

The courts are coming down hard on breaches of fire safety legislation in houses of multiple occupation, B&Bs and hotels. 

Yilmaz Yazicioglu, of South Farm Road, Worthing, must also pay £170 victim compensation and £6,225 costs after admitting managing a house in multiple occupation in posh Heene Road, Worthing, that was not licensed, as required by law, on or about December 1, 2017.

He was fined £1,500 specifically for failing to protect occupiers from injury due to low lighting, no emergency lighting and exposed carpet grippers. He was fined a further £4,000 for not registering the property with the local authority.

There was also a £1,500 fine for failing to keep the fire escape clear; a £1,500 fine for failing to maintain firefighting equipment; a £1,500 fine for failing to provide clear notices indicating fire escapes; a £1,500 fine for failing to place contact details in a prominent position; a £1,500 fine for failing to ensure windows were in good repair; a £1,500 fine for failing to keep the internal structure in good repair; and a £1,500 fine for failing to ensure gas and electrical equipment was maintained.

Yazicioglu is the latest in a long line of lax landlords facing hefty fines for failing in their duties to provide fire protection measures, including emergency lighting, in a house of multiple occupation.

The fines appear to be a ‘get tough’ policy following the Grenfell Tower tragedy in London on 14 June last year in which 72 residents lost their lives.

In July, Bijan Keshmiri of Wragby Road, Lincoln received a record fine of £400,000 over the lack of emergency lighting, faulty standard lighting with a risk of electrocution and other breaches of fire and health and safety legislation in respect of four self-contained flats on Rosemary Lane and a property converted into two self-contained flats on Spa Buildings, both in Lincoln.

Also in July, landlord Yordan Kaloyanov of Millhouse Rise, Immingham, North East Lincolnshire was fined £1,380 over an absence of emergency lighting at his property and other offences.

In January landlord Manmohan Sahib was jailed for four months in prison over a lack of emergency lighting and other measures at his property at 361 Ilford High Street, Essex.

He was also ordered to pay full prosecution costs of £23,076.  A confiscation order of £8,400, relating to income received while the premises were prohibited, was also imposed.

In the same month, private landlord Devinder Punian was fined almost £19,000 over breaches to fire safety – including defective emergency lighting – at a property in Clarendon Avenue, Leamington Spa.

In June last year, former hotelier Amandeep Sandhu was sent to prison for eight months after admitting that his establishment, Cutlers Hotel in Sheffield, lacked adequate emergency lighting and other fire safety equipment.

In September, Birmingham barrister Lewis Perry was fined almost £5,000 over the lack of emergency lighting and other fire safety equipment at a rental property in Hunton Road, Erdington, Birmingham.

 

  • Lux’s next free-to-attend Emergency Lighting Conference takes place in the Escape Zone at the LuxLive 2018 exhibition. The show takes place on Wednesday 14 November and Thursday 15 November 2018 at ExCeL London. Entry is free if you pre-register HERE.

 

 

 

 

Pictures courtesy Google Maps 2017