What electrical and data standards are applicable to a PoE lighting installations?
This question was answered by Akshay Thakur, business development manager of the industries and IoT product group at Cisco.
- IEEE 802.3 ( the latest version) IEEE Standard for information technology, telecommunications and information exchange between systems and local and metropolitan area networks. Specific requirements - Part 3: Carrier sense multiple access with collision detection (CSMA/CD) access method and physical layer specifications. Section Two, Clause 33 (incorporates the content of IEEE Std 802.3af-2003).
- IEEE 802.3 IEEE Standard for information technology, telecommunications and information exchange between systems , local and metropolitan area networks. Specific requirements Part 3: Carrier sense multiple access with collision detection (CSMA/CD) access method and physical layer specifications amendment: data terminal equipment (DTE) power via media dependent interface (MDI) enhancements.
- Upcoming IEEE 802.3bt - Standard for ethernet amendment: Physical layer and management parameters for DTE power via MDI over 4-pair.
- ISO/IEC TR 29125 - Information technology, telecommunications cabling requirements for remote powering of terminal equipment.
- BS 6701 - Telecommunications equipment and telecommunications cabling - specification for installation, operation and maintenance. (UK)
- BS 7671: Requirements for electrical installations: IEE wiring regulations. (UK)
- ISO/IEC 11801 (all amendments) - Information technology, generic cabling for customer premises. (2002)
- ANSI/TIA-568.D-0 - Generic telecommunications cabling for customer premises.
- ANSI/TIA-568.D-1- Commercial building telecommunications infrastructure standard.
- ANSI/TIA-568-C.2 - Balanced twisted-pair telecommunications cabling and components.
- ANSI/TIA-569-D -Telecommunications pathways and spaces.
- TSB-184 - Guidelines for supporting power delivery over balanced twisted-pair cabling.